Friday, November 26, 2010

Triathlon: A Team Sport Contested by Individuals

It's Black Friday - the day after Thanksgiving.  Did you stop and thank your Triathlon Team yesterday?  And did you ever think of how, while triathlon may be an individual sport, it's a team that gets you to the starting line?

Went to Miami a few weeks ago to do the Miami Man Triathlon (A fun, well-run triathlon I suggest every one checks out and adds to their race schedule for 2011).  I was at the swim start by myself - but I hadn't gotten there alone.  The hours I spend away in training from my family are only happening as they support my tri habit, and takes a big share of daily duties for the little guy.  My bike got shipped down - thanks to Fast Splits Multisport in Newton for packing it up and reassembling it when it got back.  Swim coach Leah Nyikes at Liquid Lifestyles who fine tuned my stroke this year.  The local club who I trained with a few times this year.  Everyone who traveled to cheer me on, help me hobble around South Beach afterwards, and listened to me retell the war stories over and over to anyone who would listen.  I compared race notes with my brother; my hotel went out of their way to make sure I had proper nutrition before and after the race.  A massage after-the-fact at a local spa.  Not to mention the folks who covered me at my day job so I could take some days off to travel, compete and recover.

We all may be at the start - and finish - by ourselves, but our team of friends, family and support crew get us to the start line, cheer us on during the race, and take care of us afterwards.  Even for us Middle-of-the-Pack triathletes.  And I give thanks for them all!

2 comments:

  1. ...even for the Back of the Pack triathletes too! Bringing up the rear, I am ALWAYS thankful for my "team" that waits & waits for me to get around to finishing and still have the enthusiasm to bring me in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's something to buy for your support team:

    http://www.cafepress.com/+TriSherpa+Light+T-Shirt,275077098?cmp=pfc--f--us--007--275077098&utm_term=275077098&utm_campaign=Light+T-Shirt&sourcecode=affiliate&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=productfeed&pid=6673073

    ReplyDelete